Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

"My Lamb, you are so very small, 
You have not learned to read at all. 
Yet never a printed book wtihstands 
The urgence of your dimpled hands. 
So, though this book is for yourself, 
Let mother keep it on the shelf 
Till you can read. O days that Pass, 
That day will come too soon, alas!"
~E. Nesbit,
Dedication of "Five Children and It."

T just found this adorable poem and I feel like it perfectly describes my experience with our two book-loving bears.  What a blessing that books are some of the most treasured toys in our house!  I think at last count we had gone through 4 copies of "The Hungry Caterpillar," 2 copies of "Goodnight, Moon," 2 copies of "Tails" (it had pull-tags, which definitely sealed its fate), and our copy of "Ten Wriggly Wiggly Caterpillars" is on its last legs.  We now frequent the library once a week, which is great for variety but keeps me on my toes making sure that each book gets returned in its borrowed condition.  This week we have read nothing but "Hop on Pop" and "I Wish That I had Duck Feet" (both by Dr. Seuss) for the past 10 days.  We may need to make another trip to the library before I start speaking entirely in rhyming phrases made of three and four letter words.

Happily Ever,
Queen B

No comments: