Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Fun: On the Farm

You may notice the "Farm Fun" section on our new "Summer Fun" page, and here is why....



That's right, we were enjoying an afternoon at a hobby farm last weekend!

Okay, okay, it wasn't entirely my idea...we were really there for the wedding reception of our dear medical school friends, R & N.


R's family owns a dairy-farm-now-hobby-farm southwest of the Twin Cities.  Lucky for us, they chose the farm as the site for their marriage reception celebration.




The cows were ready to celebrate with us.  G-Bear and E-Bear loved the cows.

We happened to have a conversation with a circle of friends as to whether we could live on a farm.  I don't know if it is because I am now a mom of small kids or it is just a phase in my life, but I love the idea.

There is something about the sunshine, breeze in the air, the veggie garden and flowers in the yard and the cows in munching on the grassy field (and a perfect space for a cute free-range chicken coop---fresh morning omelets, anyone??) that really feels attractive right now.  

Plus as the father-of-the-bride put it to us, "if you are looking for a good place to raise your kids, there is no place like a farm."  I believe him.  E-Bear and G-Bear had a blast.  

Not that I dislike living close to other people.  I love people.  I want my life and my family to be about helping people, creating community, close friendships and neighborly generosity.  These views were beautiful, but I would be sad with my nearest neighbors 5 miles down the road.  




I have a feeling that there might be a happy medium to find for our future.

Since I have farm on the brain today, I was looking for inspiration from on-line farming-types.  One of my favorite inspirations is Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman whose website I adore.  Her homestyle cooking is amazing and I found a great recipe for dinner tonight....Pasta alla Vodka (perfect for the bottle of Mexican vodka I have in my cupboard from a cancun hotel....what else am I going to do with the stuff??).   Here is her shot of her finished product.  I can promise you, this recipe is five-star amazing, because I made it for our dinner tonight.

Ok, briefly back to my crew, our day at the farm was all kinds of fun. 




If I have my way, we will make farm visits a part of our summer.  I have a short listing on our Summer Fun page to remind me where to take the crew.  Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get to visit the farm where the grassfed pig and free-range chickens in my freezer lived before they came to us.  But that's a post for another day.

Enjoy today,

.....treasure it....


...this life is a gift.


No comments: