Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Grocery Bag


This weekend, while on retreat, I was reminded of the importance of family meal time.   Our families can represent a precious hope for the world.  This makes family mealtime a tremendous opportunity, because it is a chance to come together, grow together, a chance to love, be loved and learn to love others.  Goodness!  Whereas before I may have just wanted to get food on the table, I suddenly want to make the most of each precious meal opportunity!  This doesn't mean that my meals need to be fancier or more expensive.  But it renews my desire to put effort into making dinnertime a special family time, which in turn makes me grateful for the habit of meal planning.   Our meal plan (ideally!) results in easier, less hectic dinner preparation, more nutritious meals and, overall, a more enjoyable experience for everyone.  It's not perfect, nor is it a guarantee, but it is a start, a step in the right direction.

This week, I am finding renewed joy and purpose in the challenge of planning for our family meals.  Here is my plan for the week, along with my prayers that God would bless all of our family meal times.


Day One
Slow-cooker pulled pork from My Recipes
with creamed corn, spinach salad and cheddar-herb biscuits
Here is a meal full of T's favorites!  
It's a way for me to say 'thanks' and 'I love you' for all his help this weekend while I was away on retreat.
Photo and pork recipe from MyRecipes.com


Day Two
with israeli couscous
I find success with my kids by separating out the salad ingredients on their plates.  This salad is full of ingredients we will all enjoy!
Photo and recipe from MarthaStewart.com



Day Three
Salmon, rice and bean salad by Happily Ever Johnson
This is a tasty way to use either freshly cooked or left over salmon.

Salmon, rice and lima bean salad by Happily Ever Johnson
Serves 2 adults and 2 kids
Ingredients:
4 oz cooked salmon, flaked
1 1/2 cups steamed baby lima beans
4 cups cooked basmati rice pilaf blend  (such as Trader Joe's)
4 Tbs. balsamic vinegar dressing

Toss ingredients in a large bowl.  Serve warm or chilled.


Day Four
with broccoli slaw salad and apple slices
Photo and recipe from Tasty Kitchen


Day Five
Mediterranean Bean Salad from Food for My Family
with tortillas and oranges
Photo and recipe from Food for My Family


Blessings on your kitchen this week!

No comments: