Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

When a decision looms large

Faced any big decisions lately?


I have one that I've been putting off for a long time.  I will be interviewing next week, which will bring the decision to the forefront of my mind (as if it hasn't been there constantly for several years already!).

I have written before about how I have struggled to make professional decisions now that I am a mother.  I want to live a life that pleases God, serves my family and makes the world a better place for others.  Most days I find myself wondering which path would allow me to fulfill these goals the most.  Is one path better or more fulfilling than another?

I don't know the answer to my question.  But I think I found a clue in the book of Colossians this week:

"We pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way:
bearing fruit in every good work,
growing in the knowledge of God,
being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might 
so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father,
who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light."
~Colossians 1:10-12

There are times in life when we have to make a choice between right and wrong.  There are many other times when the important decision is not what path we choose, but the kind of person we will be on our chosen path.  Perhaps that is why God's answer to my prayers over this decision seem so elusive:  perhaps while I pray so hard over the road ahead, he is more concerned with the driver.

So, Queen B, as you face a decision that feels so daunting, don't forget the important stuff:
Bear fruit in every good work,
grow in the knowledge of God,
be strengthened with His power so you have endurance and patience,
and do it all with thanksgiving for the eternity ahead.







P.S.  Check out this request from NY Times OP-Ed columnist, David Brooks.  If you know any particularly wise septuagenarians, their reflections on life, what they did well, not so well, and what they learned along the way, could be really instructive for younger generations as we struggle to navigate adulthood, careers, family, life.  

1 comment:

lotsofjoyfulnoise said...

"perhaps while I pray so hard over the road ahead, he is more concerned with the driver"...love this quote! Good luck with the decisions and the interviews, and thanks for the perspective! Glad y'all are having a great time in MN!