Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Morning Muffins

My mornings are earlier and more on-the-go this week now that I am on my peds rotation. In preparation for the week, I made a batch of my sister's amazing "Healthy Morning Muffins" and stuck them in the freezer to have them at the ready when I am flying out the door. KT swears by these muffins and now I do too--nothing else can get me through a morning of running around and hours of pre-lunch patient rounding like these babies. Plus, they are really good way to get whole wheat and fiber into my kids, because they gobble them down too!

Here is the recipe if you too need something to get you through your mornings. The start up cost of the various cereals involved may be intimidating, but remember that each batch makes 40-60 muffins depending on size and you can get several batches out of each box of cereal. Overall, I have found these muffins to be very inexpensive and easy to make for how delicious, healthy and convenient it is to have them on hand. Enjoy!



"Healthy Morning Muffins"
5 C. of wheat flour

1 T, plus 2 t. baking soda
2 C. of Old Fashion Oat Meal
2 C. All-Bran cereal
1 C. Bran flakes cereal
1 C. Grape Nuts Cereal
1 C. Course ground walnuts (or almonds)

2 sticks (1C) unsalted butter (melted & cooled)
1 qt. well shaken buttermilk
2 1/2 C. brown sugar (
I use much less, about 1 cup)
4 eggs


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spam muffin cups.

2. Whisk together 1st 7 ingredients.

3. In separate bowl, whisk together last 4 ingredients, then add cereal ingredients to this bowl and stir it all together. (Batter will be thick and you need to give it a good stir).

4. Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in middle oven for 17-20 min. You can add blueberries or other fresh fruit in the middle of the cup of dough if you want....

5. Remove muffins from cups and let cool.

(The batter will keep for about 10 days in the refrigerator if covered tightly with plastic wrap. You can also make all the muffins at a time, cool them, and store them in freezer bags to remove when you need them.)

ENJOY!

Happily Ever,
Queen B

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

I'm going to try your muffins, B! Love reading the blog.