Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

Happy Birthday to Johnny Appleseed

From Grraphics by R.Ritchie
Today, so far as I know, is the birthday of Johnny Chapman, who is better known as Johnny Appleseed.  I can't vouch for the authenticity of the above quote, but I thought it appropriate to the American folklore surrounding Chapman and fitting for the spirit of the day that I would like my kids to remember.  Increasingly, I am asking God to help me see His great things in the small, whether in small acts of faithfulness, within little people, or within the seemingly small details of everyday life.

G-Bear was making applesauce in school today in honor of Johnny Appleseed's birthday.  So, the boys and I had a special apple lunch and then made Johnny Appleseed hats.


Johnny Appleseed was known for wearing a pot on his head, so we combined that theme with the above quote in the making of our headwear.


We could have easily substituted the "Appleseed Prayer" on our hats, or simply written "Oh, the Lord is good to me," or something of the like.

Our Johnny Appleseed hat

I can remember my dad singing the Appleseed Prayer to me as a child.  My kids already associate the prayer with Papa, so it has special sentimental value in my heart.  This was our prayer at lunch and dinner today:

"Oh, the Lord is good to me,
And so I thank the Lord
for giving me the things I need:
the sun and the rain and the apple seed.
The Lord is good to me.
Amen."

 This was such a beautiful way to spend an autumn day!  

Happily Ever,
Queen B

No comments: