Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

No Fussing

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
~Psalm 118:24

I hate fussing.

There was a string of it in our house last week. 

Maybe it was because of the dreary weather.  Maybe we were too cooped up in the house. Maybe it was because we were all missing T while he was out of town.  Maybe it was because I was feeling more tired and irritable.  Maybe the kids were more tired and irritable.  MOST likely, it was a combination of all the above.

The bottom line is, there was a lot of fussing in our house last week.  It seemed that regardless of the circumstances, the request, or the activity, something was inadequate and fussing ensued.  There were hysterics over the drinks offered, storytime choices, the outfits proposed, the meals prepared, and fun activities ending.  

As the mom, I think part of the reason I bristle so much at fussing is because to me it represents a displeasure with my efforts, and an ungratefulness that is hard to tolerate after working hard for my kids all day.  Ungratefulness and dissatisfaction can both be very hurtful when encountered again and again.  This is the case regardless of the fact that I am an adult and my kids are, well, kids. 

You may notice that I have neglected to mention the fussing that I did last week.  But, I'll admit now that I did my fair share.  I grumbled about the weather, complained to myself that I was bored with the week's activities, fussed to myself that I was lonely and scrunched my nose at my "To-Do" list.  

Today, during my quiet time, I am reminded that just a my children's fussing is offensive to me, my grumbling and complaining is offensive to God.  God is the perfect parent.  In His infinite goodness He has authored and allowed every circumstance I encounter.  He intends every moment for my good.  He is the Giver of every good gift.  When I refuse to find joy in the goodness of the day He has created, when I bristle at having to live within the confines of the day, when I grumble at the circumstances I encounter, I show a lack of trust and faith in His goodness and faithfulness.  I miss the opportunity to see and thank Him for my many blessings.  When I grumble in these ways, I set myself up to be resentful and ungrateful (crabby!) rather than freeing my heart with joy and thankfulness.  

Today I am thankful that the Lord is more patient with my grumbling than I am with my kids' fussing!  I am thankful for the lessons I learn from them through the blessing of being their mother.  I am also praying that the Spirit will give me a more grateful heart, as I strive to thank God for this day and it's circumstances, whatever may come.  And finally, I am encouraged that while gentle reminders "not to fuss" may or may not help adjust my kids behavior in the short-tem, an example of my own grateful heart and behavior will make a much more lasting impression in their lives and mine. 


No comments: