Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Daybook for April 2011



It has been a while since I included a Daybook, but the start of a new month is the perfect time.  Especially when the month is April!  Hooray for all that we have to look forward to this month!

Outside my window... There is still snow on the lawn!  But, we did play outside today in our driveway, complete with sunglasses, bouncy balls and sidewalk chalk.  What a relief!  It is wonderful to have the spring sunshine pouring in our window throughout the day (even if it is still chilly outside!), bringing brightness and the promise of spring to our days.


I am thinking...About how you can never really be ready for a new baby to arrive, no matter how much preparation you put in.  There will always be more laundry to do, more organizing to be done, more piles to clear, more chores and errands to run.  Because, Queen B, this is life, not a picture in a baby magazine.  Overwhelming to be sure, but I take comfort in the fact that we have welcomed two little ones before, and with each passing day we are more excited to welcome Baby Bear into the crazed excitement that is our life.  

I am thankful... For T, my husband and best friend, and two little munchkins who are so excited to invite me to play with them, whatever they are doing.  How could I ever be lonely when I am surrounded by my best friends, who also happen to be my husband and kids?  What a blessing.  

From the learning rooms...We are all practicing our letters together, as G-Bear can almost write her whole name by herself and E-Bear adds to his letter repertoire almost daily.  We are also learning about what a "dozen" is, thanks to a recent Sesame Street "Word on the Street" episode.  Today at the grocery store we stood in the dairy section while both of the kids counted the eggs in the carton we were going to buy. G-Bear proudly informed T, "....eleven, twelve.  See, Daddy, THAT is a dozen."  That's my girl :)

From the kitchen...our latest favorites are morning fruit smoothies and homemade granola bar snacks.  Yum!  I will be sure to include the recipes sometime soon.

I am wearing...the most generous-fitting maternity clothes I have, because this belly is definitely in charge these days!  It is always awe-inspiring to me at this point in my pregnancy just how much my body has accommodated to fit around the baby, growing and stretching in amazing ways!  It is truly a miraculous transformation, as is the disappearance of the belly (hopefully :) after the baby is born.  


I am creating...giant piles of paper to recycle our of our respective residency and medical school hoardings.  Five years of medical training apiece creates an awe-inspiring mountain of paper to sort through!   I am just glad I am sorting through it now, as opposed to this summer when our packing and moving crunch hits.  The process is much less painful this way, thank you Jesus.

I am going...crazy with excitement over the house we will be renting next year after our move.  We will have a big backyard for the first time ever.  Both T and I are thrilled that the kids with have plenty of space to get out, run and play any time of the day or evening.  T might even get to grill once in a while, I might even get to plant something.  Just be sure to remind us about how great it is to have a big yard when we are sick of mowing the lawn next year. :)


I am reading...less than I would like this Lent.  Every time I sit down to read during a quiet moment these days I seem to fall asleep!  Welcome to the last few weeks of pregnancy :)


I am hoping...not to go into labor this week while T is busy presenting his research at another conference.   Nothing distracts from a presentation like a emergent phone call that your wife is in labor!  


I am hearing...the sweet sound of silence.  Silence is truly a rarity in our house that is about to become even more rare.  Are we really ready for round three?  Good thing we love hustle and bustle around here.

Around the house...signs of winter are disappearing and evidence of spring is bursting through.  Gone are the preschool paintings of snowmen and snowflakes, replaced by creations of tissue paper cherry blossoms and colorings of bright flowers.  In a supremely bold move for a Minnesotan, I even packed away our winter coats, hats and mittens this weekend.  We'll just have to tough it out with our sweaters and vests if it snows again this month!

One of my favorite things...doing a puzzle with E-Bear and G-Bear.  Last night we were all doing one together.  Everyone was making their own impressive contribution to the effort.  I am amazed by how even young children can be enticed by a good puzzle and by how the common challenge brings us together in the best teamwork way.

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Oh, my, we have a LOT to look forward to, not just this week but this whole month.  This week is G-Bear's 4th birthday and a princess birthday party in her honor.  Soon after that is my birthday (the big 3-0!) as well as Baby Bear's arrival and Easter.  This month is sure to be jam packed with fun.  Hold on to your hats.


A picture for thought...G-Bear and E-Bear just over a week ago, on a snowy walk in our neighborhood after it had snowed another 5 inches.  April, we're glad you're here......now get to work!




No comments: