Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Daybook for October 2010

Welcome, October!  We are glad you are here!

Photo Calendars at WiddlyTinks.com
Photo Calendars by WiddlyTinks.com

What better way to start the month than with Daybook reflections?  You can always find this Daybook at The Simple Women's Daybook.

Daybook Reflections for October 1, 2010

Outside my window...

The leaves have turned bright red and yellow.  The colors are truly spectacular against a bright blue sky.  
I am thinking...
Of how much happened in September and how blessed we are to have made it to October.  The end of summer, the start of preschool, a trauma rotation for T, Boards for me, a trip to Boston to visit Aunt K, Uncle T and cousin Sparky, what a month.  October is such a beautiful bridge to the holiday months.  We are going to soak up every minute of it.

I am thankful for...
A new month, a new day to parent again.  I have been trying to figure out how to push the "Reset" button in my parenting with G-Bear and E-Bear.  After my month of Board studying, during which I was much more tired and anxious than usual, we developed some bad interaction habits.  Tired and short on time, I have been more flustered in my parenting than usual.  I have noticed my children, in turn, have seemed more out-of-sorts.  Reflecting on the negative patterns of behavior was my first step to eliminating them.  Not that I crying about it to T and praying in desperation didn't help a lot to.  My next step toward success was changing my approach to the cycle of behavior.   Thanks to God for my friend Kat, who recommended the Love and Logic Institute and their parenting techniques.  Today, I have truly turned over a new leaf.  The past few weeks I have dreaded parenting.  Today, I have reveled in it.   I can't wait to get the book or take a class.  I needed some practical tips, and I found them at Love and Logic.  My approach has changed and it is already making a tremendous difference.  

From the learning rooms...
I am eagerly searching for short learning activities to do with my sweet E-Bear while G-Bear is at school.  He misses G-Bear so much, and I think he would enjoy the time we have together so much more if we had special "school" things to do together.   If anyone has suggestions or resources for an almost-2 year old, please send them my way!

From the kitchen...
I am stocking the fridge with fall produce to get us back in the swing of meals after a month of Boards and a week on vacation.  Hallelujah!  Grocery Bag, I have missed you.

I am wearing...
My first sweater of the season.  What a great way to welcome October.

I am creating...
A calendar of fun, fall family ideas and events.  Cooler nights and days are upon us.  My favorite splash pools and go-to summer outings are either closed or out of season.  Time to find kid-friendly activities for fall and set myself up for winter success!

I am reading...
I WISH I was still reading my Magnificat.  Some mysterious stranger sent me a gift subscription the past two months.  But just as mysteriously as it arrived, it stopped coming.  No Magnificat for October in my mailbox.  I need to find a new daily read.

I am hoping...
To get  a pumpkin with the kids at the farmers market this weekend.   We will have to decorate it, give it a name, and put it out on the front porch.  I love fall.

I am hearing...
Nothing but the peaceful quiet of naptime.  Sometimes silence is golden.

Around the house...
We are cleaning out clothing shelves, packing away summer clothes and putting fall clothes in their place.  I feel so blessed by our friends who GAVE us a whole garbage bag FULL of 2T clothes for little E-Bear.  Beautifully cared for hand-me-down jackets, shirts, pants: it was like Christmas opening up the bag.  Never underestimate the blessing that hand-me-down clothes can be to other families.  His shelves are full of beautiful clothes and I didn't have to spend a dime.  It is a blessing we are going to remember, and hope to one day pass on.

One of my favorite things...
Reading stories with children.  Yesterday I was the parent reader at G-Bear's preschool.  We brought one of our favorite books by Terry Golson,

Oh, it is a fabulous book.  I just love the suspense and enthusiasm with which kids enjoy stories.  We were all breathless with excitement to see where Tillie the Chicken would lay her egg next.  E-Bear and G-Bear have read the book with me dozens of times, yet they were still so excited to.  Books are wonderful.  

A few plans for the rest of the week(end)...
It is a rare wedding weekend blitz for us this weekend!  The Amazing Miss R is getting married tomorrow.  E-Bear has is tuxedo.  G-Bear has her dress.  They are wearing their official "Ring Security" and "Flower Girl" shirts today for the rehearsal (gifts from Miss R).  We can't wait.  And I am praying that my kids won't be the most memorable part of the ceremony procession tomorrow :)

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...
Ministry to Children is a new site I found that has wonderful Sunday school resources and coloring pages for kids.  Here is one that I just love, perfect for the first day of October.  
Great ideas and coloring pages at  Ministry-to-Children.com 

No comments: