Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

On Mother's Day morning, T woke me with chai tea in hand.  I could hear the kids were already up, but I didn't know what they were up to until they arrived in our room a few minutes later.

"Happy Mother's Day!" They cried.  
"Come down stairs, we have a surprise for you!"

Down in the dining room, the table was set for breakfast, "just like you do for us, Mommy!" Donuts from our favorite neighborhood bakery were on each plate, courtesy of T. 

My kids have never done this before, and I was really touched.  They had done it all themselves, without any prompting from T, and it was so sweet for me to see the pleasure in their eyes when I commended them all.  My smiles brought them so much joy.  

E-Bear made me a lovely potted flower and G-Bear painted a flower pot for me as a gift.  There were also colored paper bracelets and a paper crown for me to wear from the kids!  What a treat!  I felt like one treasured momma.

I am so grateful to God for the opportunity to be a mother.  My latest reading is Holiness for Housewives and other working women by Hubert van Zeller.  It is the perfect food for my soul this month.  In it, van Zeller quotes G.K. Chesterton:

"How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness.”

Increasingly, I am aware of the hugeness of the task of motherhood.  It demands my every resource, talent and ounce of energy.  God, that you would make me worthy to the task, for your glory, for the sake of these precious little souls and for the good of the world.  

Happy Mother's Day!


No comments: