Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Our Super Speller

Recently, G-Bear confessed to us that she likes to get 100% on her weekly spelling tests.  She is working really hard in first grade this year.  Her hard work is paying off.   We have noticed amazing milestones in her reading and spelling abilities.

But, I have to admit, G-Bear's spelling prowess causes me some problems too.  Up until now, I have enjoyed the luxury of being able to communicate privately with T in the presence of our children by spelling out words to make our conversation harder to follow.
"Should we get a T-R-E-A-T?" 
"Do you know if it is D-O-N-U-T S-U-N-D-A-Y today after Mass?"  
"Yes, today we'll see the doctor and get V-A-C-C-I-N-E-S this afternoon."  

Well, now our Super Speller's ears perk up when she hears a word spelled out.  Not only is G-Bear able to decipher most words that I am trying to spell for T, if she finds a word too challenging she'll draw everyone's attention to our conversation by asking me what I just said!  Clever girl!  

I am trying to accept the fact that our days of private conversations, at least when our kids are around, are over.  We'll adapt, I am sure.  But until we do, I'm determined to celebrate the spelling successes rather than pout over privacy matters.


No comments: