Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Beat the (dinner) heat

My car thermometer says it is 95 degrees outside today.
The fans are cranking to keep the house cool,
and I am responsible for making dinner tonight.

Warning:
Tonight is not the night to fire up the stove!

Caution:
We do not own a grill!

Attention:
What is a mom to do??!

Tonight I will be employing a dinner preparation tactic that I learned last year when we lived in North Carolina.  During the summer in NC, ninety degree days are a dime a dozen.  What was more, our oven could heat up our whole apartment in a jiffy.  

So, on hot days like today, we bring the pancake griddle out to the porch.  Thank goodness for exterior electric outlets!  Cheese quesadillas with peppers and onions are on the menu tonight.  I can sauté the peppers and onions right on the griddle, then fill and cook the quesadillas right next to them.  The kids can play outside while I cook, but beware little hands getting too close to the griddle!  By the time we are all hot and sweaty, we can head into our *cool* house to eat dinner.  Not too bad.



1 comment:

B-Mama said...

Love it! Great solution!! xox to all!!