Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam!


I hope that I am always able to remember this day with fondness.

T called me 15 minutes after the white smoke appeared to let me know that 
"Habemus Papam!"

Such sweet words during this season of Lent!

E-Bear, Buddy Bear and I were out running errands together before picking up G-Bear from school.
I was so eager to explain to them the great significance of today.



Pope Benedict was elected the same spring that I was confirmed into the Catholic Church.
We share a birthday.
He was the Pope to shepherd the Church during the first years of our marriage, our years of medical training and for the births of our first three children.  I trust his discernment and choice to step down,  yet I was still a bit sad to see him resign from his papal post.  We are so thankful and grateful to God for his leadership and example.

When we picked up G-Bear this afternoon, Pope Francis had JUST been introduced.
I gave her a big and asked her if she had heard the good news.
"Yes," she replied, "we have a new Pope."


We rushed home and watched videos together of the white smoke and Pope Francis' announcement.
The kids may not remember this day, but I am sure I will.  

May our new Pope, a man who seems to be known for his humility and compassion, inspire all of us to embrace and follow Christ with greater submission and resolution.  Pray for him that he may be an example of Christ to the world and lead the Church into greater love for God!



No comments: