Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Prayer

At long last, tomorrow is election day.  Go vote!
I'll likely be at the polling station with three kids in tow, but it will be worth it.
On the eve of the election, here is the prayer I have prayed in preparation to vote.
May our country be blessed with good, worthy leaders through the votes of its citizens!

Election Prayer
(Adapted from the Election Novena at Pray More Novenas)

O God,
I ask for the eyes to see others as your sons and daughters. I ask for help in forming my conscience according to your Gospel so that I may both vote and act for the common good.

Give me the courage to stand up for the weakest members of society. The poor, the weak, the unborn. Give me the courage to re-examine my political loyalties and to be first a faithful follower of Jesus before I follow others.

Remind me that my only true hope is in Jesus and that political power can never replace the will of God and the mission of the Church.

For my own vote, help me to cast it in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. Help me to do it reverently and with a well-formed conscience.

For these elections, Oh God, please bless us with the best leaders possible at all levels of government.


Amen.


No comments: