Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Happy All Saints Day 2014

Our All Saints celebration this year was truly special!

I love celebrating All Saints Day.  After a fun night of trick or treating, it is wonderful to wake up and have a big celebration to continue the fun.  The kids wake up to a decorated dining room, ready to welcome guests (MoMo and Papa) and eat a giant brunch of delicious food. We always have crafts, decorations and stories to help mark the day, and normally (but not this year, because the obligation was transferred to Sunday) we get to go to Mass.

This year, we added a mini prayer service to the morning activities.  Our kids are getting older and plus, we didn't have an All Saints Mass to attend.  Buddy Bear and E-Bear got to hold white votives, which we lit for our prayers.  G-Bear read our opening prayer:

Prayer for All Saints Day
Dear God, thank you for the example of the Saints.
I desire to join in their company, worshiping you forever in Heaven.
Please help me follow their footsteps, and yours, Jesus Christ. 
Please help me to conform myself to Your image, 
seeking Your will in all things, as the Saints did. 
Please help me to devote myself, and all that I do, 
to Your glory, and to the service of my neighbors. 
Amen. 

Then, T led us in the Litany of Saints. What a beautiful devotion it was to pray together!

Next, it was time to eat. This year, we had tomatillo frittata (adults), scrambled eggs (kids), apple cider, bacon, fruit salad, chocolate chip bagels and cream cheese, yogurt and cupcakes. Whew, what a feast.  While I finished the food, the kids got to color their Armor of God for our craft. After our meal, we read Ephesians 6, and everyone followed along with their own armor. Then, we colored and assembled the paper dolls.  I also read James 1:12, which describes the "Crown of Life" that God bestows upon the Saints.  Next year, I'll make "crowns of life" for the kids to wear for the meal, which would make for a fun, festive, and symbolic addition.

The Saints are the real life heroes of our faith.  I am so thankful for the opportunity this feast day gives us to highlight these heroes, celebrate Christ's triumph in everyday lives, and pray for help in our everyday struggles big and small.  

Happily Ever,
Queen B

No comments: