Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Saying Good-bye to Our Honda

Today, we said good-bye to our fourteen year old Honda Accord.  The transmission finally died, unfortunately, as T was heading down the street for work.  Used transmissions are expensive, and, as time and milage would have it, our Accord was not worth very much anymore.  So, we made the decision to donate it.


I was thankful that our disappointment could result in a blessing for others. But, as we dropped off the car, I couldn't help but feel a little sad and nostalgic.  I can't say that I was particularly attached to the car itself, but I realized how much of our life had included that car.

I bought the Honda used at the end of my first year out of college, after saving my earnings for the whole year.  In it, I drove off to start a new pre-med adventure in Alabama (where T was in medical school).  Four years later, T and I returned to MN with the Honda as our only car.  We were engaged and about to start med school and residency.  We brought our first two children home in the Honda.  Once we got our beloved Sienna minivan, the Honda took T to work and, due to its terribly sporadic engine, stranded him at the hospital numerous late, cold, January nights during residency.  We drove it to North Carolina for fellowship and back to Minnesota when T got his first job.  So many of my favorite memories involved the Honda in some way.

T saw the look on my face and the wetness in my eyes as we drove home.  Like any Knight in Shining Armor, he made the ultimate proposal:

"Who would like go to the coffee shop and toast the old car with some hot chocolate?"



My hero.

Happily Ever,
Queen B





No comments: