Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Crabby Pants

I am the crabby pants in our house right now.  

I hate the end of summer.

Did I mention that I hate the end of summer?

I really do. 

But, as I had to remind one of our children tonight, there are many things in life that we won't enjoy, things that wouldn't be our choice if it were up to us to choose, and we have to choose to be cheerful anyway.

So there you have it, Queen B.  Time to buck up and be cheerful.  
Summer is ending whether I choose to be cheerful or not.

After lying awake the other night worrying about the start of school,
I reassured myself with this post by a friend, and woke up the next day with a plan.

In the first morning hours, we tried on uniforms, ordered all school supplies on Amazon (hallelujah, free shipping!), stopped by school to drop off early registration forms (no long lines for us on registration night!), and went to the store to buy two remaining pairs of pants for the school wardrobes.  Then, I treated the kids to Chick-fil-a as a reward for all our hard work and spent the rest of the day riding bikes and playing in the backyard.

See, it doesn't help to be crabby.

I am also preparing to teach at a nearby university this fall.  I have never been good at multitasking logistics planning for me and the kids.  But, procrastination, like being crabby, won't help.  

Even so, there is still so much to do in our last week or so of summer vacation: 
a trip to the cabin,
a visit to the State Fair,
what else can we fit in?




No comments: